Ukrainian Institute for Plant Variety Examination (UIPVE) provide the state scientific and technical examination of plant varieties in order to determine their value for cultivation and use (VCU) in Ukraine and the acquisition of property rights for a plant variety as an object of intellectual property.
The areas of UIPVE activity include:
- Fundamental, applied and scientific examination of plant varieties and variety state certification.
- Scientific and methodical support for state plant variety qualifying examination, post-registration plant variety study, plot (soil) and laboratory post-control on the basis of the national legislation requirements, international treaties and technical documents.
- Scientific-informative and publishing activities in the area of protection of plant variety property rights (official and scientific-methodical publications).
- Regulations drafting for application filling and submitting for a plant variety registration and for other stages of scientific and technical examination of plant varieties.
- Organization and providing of seed samples and planting materials storage which are given together with application documents in conformity with the Law of Ukraine “On the protection of rights of plant varieties”.
- Varieties storage inspection, plot (soil) and laboratory variety control, post-registration study.
- Collection forming of conventional plant varieties and varieties with reference features which are used in field qualifying examination (DUS tests). The Institute, within its scope and authority, is responsible for their confirmation and renewal.
- Inspection of plant variety samples, stored by the owners and intellectual property rights (patent) owners in accordance to the procedure to be determined by the appropriate authority.
- Determination of technological quality indices for plant varieties and biochemical vegetable matter control with precursor substances usage. Conducting of electrophoretic study and PCR-analysis (DNA markers).
- Provision of services for study and diagnostics of available genetic modifications in seed and vegetable matter samples.
- Substantiation of plant varieties market formation as items of intellectual property, fees for plant variety property rights protection; statistical, registration and reporting improvement in the plant varieties property rights protection.
- Development of international ties and cooperation. Within the scope of its competence, the Institute represents the interests of Ukraine concerning the plant variety rights protection in the international organizations, takes part in the national and international events focused on the protection of plant variety property rights.
- Training of scientific manpower and specialists’ skill enhancement in the area of the protection of plant variety property rights.
- Provision of scientific-and-technical and normative-and-methodical information concerning the plant variety property rights protection.